Monday, September 19, 2011

Charlotte Pruyn Hyde

Photo source: Hyde Art Museum, collections department

Charlotte Pruyn Hyde
1867-1963

Charlotte Pruyn Hyde is the daughter of Samuel Pruyn, co-founder of Finch Pruyn Paper, Inc. in Glens Falls, New York. This is the paper mill where my father was employed at the time of my birth. Charlotte Married Louis Fiske Hyde in 1901 after a 14 year courtship, and they settled in Glens Falls in 1907. Charlotte and her two sisters, Mary and Nell, built adjoining homes not far from their father's paper mill. The homes and the surrounding seven acres now make up the Hyde Collection, a museum complex with a world-renowned collection of art that is availale for
public enjoyment. In the photo slide show titled "The Hyde" you will see some of the photos that I took while I was visiting the museum recently with my two youngest children. As a seamstress and quilter, I was fascinated by the thimble collection. I also photographed the sculpture near the entrance to the museum, a lovely piece depicting a family dancing together.

Another addition to the Glens Falls area, thanks to generous financial donations by the Hydes, is the Crandall Public Library (www.crandalllibrary.org).

This is a place I remember visiting with my mother when I was very young and she was a student at Adirondack Community College. I now take my children to Crandall Library. They have wonderful programs and are very helpful to the many homeschoolers in the area.

I am grateful to people like Charlotte Pryne Hyde and her husband who cared for their community and for the coming generations in such a generous way.



for a video documentary on the family. It includes photos of the paper mill and many of the collected works.












No comments:

Post a Comment